- 1 cup boiled channa (chickpeas)
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 3-4 tbsp yoghurt
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 whole green chillies
- Powdered achari masala (fennel seeds 1 tsp ,fenugreek seeds 1/4 tsp, coriander seeds 1 tsp,)
- 1 tsp amchur (dry mango) powder
- 1/2 tsp kalonji (Nilgella seeds)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp of mango pickle with its oil (make a paste)
- 1 bunch each of coriander leaves and mint leaves (chopped)
- salt to taste
For rice: bay leaves 1-2, cinnamon stick 1, whole spices 1-1/2 tsp
Boil rice with some salt, whole spices ,cinnamon and bay leaves, when almost done drain in a colander.
In a pan heat oil and fry onion slices till golden brown and keep aside. In the same oil add cumin seeds, tomatoes ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt to taste and fry well. Next, add the boiled channa, amchur powder, dry achari masala, green chillies, mango pickle paste with some pickle oil, kalonji seeds and cook till the oil leaves the surface.
In a deep pan make a layer of rice, fried onions, mint and coriander leaves, cooked channa layer and again another layer of rice with mint and brown onion, cover with lid tightly and simmer on low heat till done. Serve hot with raita.