- Flour – 200gms
- Butter – 150gms
- Sugar (powdered)-150gms
- Baking Powder- 2 level tsp
- Orange Reduction-150 ml
- Egg- 4
- Orange Zest – 1 tsp or candied orange peel- 1 tsp
- Almonds/cashew nuts- 5, chopped fine (optional)
- Salt – a pinch (omit if you use salted butter)
To make the Orange reduction
- Fresh orange juice- 350ml
- Star anise- just a piece of one
- Cinnamon- 1 small piece
- Sugar- 50gms
- Simmer the above on low flame till reduced to half.
– First make the orange reduction. Set aside
– Grease a baking tin approx 8”, dust with flour. Keep it ready.
– Shift together and pass through a sieve flour, baking powder and salt. Keep aside
– Cream together butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
– Add eggs one by one.
– Slowly add the flour and orange reduction till just combined.
– Now add the zest, peel, and nuts (all dusted with a little flour).
– Transfer to a preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes at 180C. Cool on a wire rack.