- Chicken: 1kg (medium cut)
- Potato: 2 Big Diced into querters)
- Onion: 1(sliced) + 3(pounded) (Medium sized)
- Garlic: 2 inch (pounded)
- Ginger: 1 whole (pounded)
- Lemon: 1 small (Take out the juice)
- Mustard Oil: 8 tbsp
- Ghee: 1 tsp
- Turmeric paste: 1 tbsp+1tsp
- Red chilli paste: 1 tbsp
- Corainder paste: 1 tbsp
- Cumin paste: ½ tbsp
- Salt: to taste
- Sugar: 1 tsp
- Whole garam masala (green cardamom (3), cinnamon (1 inch) and black pepper (4-5).
– Peel and Dice potatoes (2 big) in quarters, wash the diced potatoes and rub some salt (1tsp) and a pinch of turmeric paste (1/2 tsp). Soak the rice in water for some time.
– Pound some whole garam masala (green cardamom -3, cinnamon -1 inch and black pepper – 4-5).
– Wash and clean chicken (1 kg). Rub a big pinch of turmeric paste (1 tsp), red chilli paste(1 tsp), a whole lemon juice, big pinch of salt and a few spoons of mustard oil onto the chicken and keep aside.
– Heat mustard oil (2 tbsp) in a thick bottom kadai. Add the diced potatoes. Sauté well in low heat and sprinkle a little water. Cover and cook on low heat. Stir the potatoes occasionally. Strain the potatoes from the oil and keep aside.
– Add mustard oil (4 tbsp) a bigger thick bottom vessel. Add few bay leaves and 1 tsp of sugar and caramelise. Add the crushed garam masalas and then pounded onion. Sauté till translucent and add the garlic and half of the ginger. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
– Add turmeric paste (1tbsp), red chilli paste(1/2 tbsp), cumin paste (1/2 tbsp), coriander paste (1tbsp). Sauté them until the colour changes to dark brown.
– Now add the sliced onion, chopped coriander and rest of the ginger and the chicken. Mix well. Keep sautéing for 6-7 minutes. Once the onions are translucent add required amount of water (I added 3 cups as we love thin jhol).
– Mix them well. Turn the temperature to low. Adjust seasoning. Add the potatoes. Cover cook until the chicken and potatoes are almost done (it won’t take more than 7-8 minutes). Open the cover, add 1 tsp of ghee, mix well and cover again. Take out from the fire… serve with hot steamed rice…