- 100gm butter
- 100gm fine caster sugar (or powdered sugar)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 100gm all purpose flour
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon warm water or milk (omit this if using large eggs )
– Grease, flour and line the base of a 7 inch round cake pan with baking paper and set aside.
– Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside .
– Preheat the oven to 180 deg C
– In a bowl, cream together the butter and sugar till pale, light and fluffy. Scrape the mixture down from the sides of the bowl from time to time to ensure that no sugar crystals are left .
– Add the beaten eggs a little at a time , beating well after each addition and then add in the vanilla essence
– Gradually sift the flour mixture on to the mixture and fold it in gently , quickly and as lightly as possible with a metal spoon – it should have a soft dropping consistency (a spoonful of batter should drop from the spoon by the time you count three). If its not the right consistency fold in the warm water or milk
– Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and level the top of the batter.
– Bake in the preheated oven till well risen, golden, firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The cake will be beginning to shrink away from the sides of the pan. Mine took about 30 minutes to bake but every oven is different so keep checking on the cake.
– Cool in pan on wire rack for 20 minutes .
– Using a thin knife gently separate the edges of the cake from the pan, then gently unmould onto a serving plate , Remove the butter paper and turn the cake right side up on the plate and place the plate on the wire rack . Cool completely. Sift icing sugar over the surface of the cake and add sprinkles