Wheat Flour – 1.5 cups
Sugar – 1 cup, powdered
Oil – 1/2 cup
2 eggs (for eggless use1 banana or 1/2 cup Curd)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1. 5 tbsp coffee powder
1/2 cup hot milk
2 tbsp curd
1 tsp vinegar
Vanilla essence few drops (you can use coffee essence too instead)Few chopped walnuts
- Seive all the dry ingredients thrice. Yes for cakes wheat flour has to be seived thrice or else the cake won’t turn out soft.
- Dissolve coffee in hot milk.
- Mix sugar, curd, oil and eggs together and whisk or beat well till the mix is light and airy.
- Add the dry ingredients and coffee concoction alternately till well mixed. Fold in the batter well. At this stage add vinegar. Give a final mix. Add dusted walnuts to the batter and sprinkle generously on the top. (I forgot them at the last minute so you don’t see them in the picture)
- Pour into cupcake moulds and bake for 35 – 40 minutes at 160 dec C.
- Curd was added to give extra softness as whole wheat cake is generally heavier in texture.
- Vinegar is added to give baking soda a boost to make cake lighter. It will not alter the taste of the cake.
- Add more warm milk if the cake is too thick.
- In the same batter, you can experiment with adding fruits like apple, strawberry or pineapple. Happy Baking !