- 1 Kg Chicken on the bone – 20-24 small pieces
- 10 Dried red chilies
- 200 Grams onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 2 ” ginger minced
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Kashmiri chili powder
- 3/4th cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup mustard oil
- Jaggery and salt to taste
- Marinate chicken in turmeric and red chili powder for 3-4 hours or more.
- In a thick bottomed pan dry roast mustard seeds, dry red chilies, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, coriander seeds and kalonji. Cool and coarsely grind the seeds.
- Make a paste of ginger and garlic.
- Heat mustard oil in a wok to smoking point remove from the heat. Bring to the room temperature and reheat. Deep fry the marinated chicken pieces on medium heat till golden brown.
- In the same oil splutter the grounded seeds for about 20 seconds.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté on medium heat till they turn light golden , then tip in ginger garlic paste and sauté till all moisture evaporates. Finally add the vinegar and jaggery and bring to a rolling boil.
- Now add the fried chicken pieces and simmer for around 20 minutes.
- Set aside to cool. Add another 1/2 cup mustard oil (optional) and let it stand for 10-12 hours. This stays good for around 10 days in the fridge
Recipe credit: Rakesh Sharma