Ingredients (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
For the muffins
- 1-cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup sugar (or you can also use unrefined cane sugar or powdered jaggery)
- 1-cup orange juice
- 1 tsp. orange zest a
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. corn starch (optional)
- ¼ cup oil (I used olive oil)
For the chocolate glaze
- 2 tsp. orange juice
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 2 to 2.5 tbsp. sugar or to taste
- ½ tbsp. oil
- 2 to 2.5 tbsp. water
Preparing Eggless Muffins
- First sieve 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1tbsp corn starch, ½ tsp. baking soda, ½ tsp. baking powder and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl or pan and keep the sieved dry mixture aside
- For the orange zest, with a zester or grater, grate the zest from one medium orange and keep aside.
- Line a muffin tray or pan with muffin liners
- Also preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius
- In another bowl, take ½ cup sugar and ¼ cup oil and set aside
- Prepare the orange juice in an electric juicer or a blender. If using a blender, then remove the seeds from the orange segments and then blend. Then strain the orange juice though a fine sieve. (approximately 3 oranges should yield 1 cup of juice)
- Add the 1 cup orange juice to the sugar + oil mixture.
- Stir briskly and very well till the sugar dissolves.
- Add this orange juice mixture to the sieved dry mixture.
- Next, add the orange zest.
- With a wired whisk, lightly mixture to a smooth batter.
- Spoon the batter in the muffin liners till it reaches ¾ part of the liners and gently shake the pan to release excess air bubbles.
- Place the muffin tray in the preheated oven. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 to 25 minutes or till a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool. You can serve orange muffins plain or dusted with icing sugar, cocoa powder or prepare any chocolate glaze or icing. The recipe yields 8 regular sized muffins.
Preparing chocolate glaze
- Take 3 tbsp. cocoa powder in a small pan or saucepan.
- Add orange juice, cocoa powder, sugar, oil and water.
- Mix everything and keep the pan on a low flame on the stovetop. Keep stirring till the mixture thickens and the sugar completely dissolves.
- When the glaze is still warm, spread it on the orange muffins. You can also slice the muffins and then spread the glaze on the base slice. Cover with the top slice and then spread the glaze on the top. Allow the glaze to cool before serving.