- 2 & 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup fine sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat the oven at 180 deg C
- Grease the cake pan & keep aside.
- Sieve the all purpose flour with the baking powder a couple of times in a big bowl. Add a pinch of salt and give it a good mix. Remove slightly less than half of this sieved flour in another bowl. Sieve the cocoa powder in the second bowl & mix well. Keep aside.
- In a blender jar, add in the eggs and vanilla essence. Blend till nice & frothy. Then add milk and oil in the jar and blitz again.
- Once this is done, tip in the sugar and give it all one last blitz.
- Now make a small well in the bowl with the plain flour & pour in half of the blended liquid. Stir together and mix well. Add enough of the milk/eggs/oil/sugar mixture till the batter is not too thick, but neither too runny. Be careful that the batter is not too runny. Do not over mix the batter.
- Now add the rest of the blended mixture to the second bowl with the flour & cocoa powder. Mix well till the batter is nice & smooth and the consistency is similar to the white batter.
- Add the lemon zest to the white batter and mix gently.
- Then take the greased cake pan and pour in around 2 big tablespoons of the white batter in the center of the pan. Let this spread a bit, and pour 2 tbsps of the cocoa batter on top of the white batter. DO NOT spread with a spoon or shake the pan. Don’t worry, the batters won’t mix & will stay in layers.
- Repeat this process using the batters alternatively till all the batter is used up.
- Now gently tap the cake pan on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Place the pan in the oven in the middle rack and let it bake for around 25-30 minutes, or till a skewer poked in comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven once done & let it cool for sometime. Then invert in a serving platter & leave to cool completely.
* The baking time depends on the oven that you use.. so adjust timings and temperatures accordingly. Go by your personal experience!